Monday, April 13, 2009

Energy Drains

I sent out a video today to all my BusiMoms. (That's my short hand for members of Entrepreneur and Professionals Moms Assoc.) I'd like to share it with you today!

It's about energy drains -- all those pesky things that make us crazy and puts us into a negative thought zone. This negative energy will keep you from getting the most out of your day, your week, your life.

Find out what drains your energy and work to get them under control. You will never be able to completely eliminate them but if you can start to manage them in a positive way then they won't control your physical and emotional self.

Some hints for gaining control:
  1. Make a list of any thing in your life that drains you mentally. i.e. The key that sticks in a lock, gray hair on your head, peeling paint, clutter, a leaky faucet, dentist appointments, unanswered mail/email - walk around your house.
  2. Take a week to fill it out!
  3. Post this list in plain sight.
  4. Look at the list and meditate - think positive thoughts. You don't want to be overwhelmed.
  5. Categorize the list into reoccurring energy drains and a list of "one-time" energy drains.
  6. One-time to do's are easy. Just pick one each week or if inspired, one each day and cross them off as you go. If you're like me, when family visit, they are sometimes able to help out with some of these. (I find a lot of these seem to be home improvement related! lol)
  7. The reoccurring energy drains are tougher. You have to look at each one and figure out what it is about the drain that gets you. For example, I go crazy over putting laundry away. I can seem to get things in the wash but, putting them away is another story. This week, I'm going to figure out a way to make it easier on myself. If you have any suggestions about what works for you...I'll consider it, post in the comments.

It takes 21 days to start a new habit. If you are working on the reoccurring drains and you are going to try something new. You need to do it 21 days in a row. If it's not a daily occurrence still stick to the 21 days.

A coach can do wonders helping with energy drain management. I recommend finding one. I'm going to talk with my coach about that laundry.

Cheers,

Lorin



No comments: